Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas
It's that time of year... Christmas trees going up, pine garlands and bows on every light pole along South Main Street, lights strung on all the beautiful historical buildings...
But wait a minute! It's not even Thanksgiving yet!
We're used to retail stores putting out Christmas merchandise very early. Like August. Actually I think Walmart might already be displaying items for Valentine's Day. But for us small retailers, it's a struggle. We want to make sure we don't miss out on Halloween fun, autumn beauty, Thanksgiving gratitude. As far as I'm concerned, it's time for pumpkin pie and turkey. Cute little ceramic turkeys.
But our town, Springboro, Ohio, has Christmas in Springboro -- a huge street festival that takes place on South Main Street the weekend before Thanksgiving. That's right. Before Thanksgiving. And we're happy to be right in the middle of it. If you're in town, you can find us right beside all the kids' rides on the north end of the festival.
So, up go the trees and on go the lights and soon there will be Christmas music playing from loudspeakers outside our door.
It's a long weekend. Friday evening, all day Saturday, Sunday afternoon. It's exhausting. Yet, at the end of it, those days seem to have flown by too quickly.
Now for the important part: Antiques and vintage items are perfect for Christmas gift-giving.
Why? We're glad you asked. Here are some great reasons:
1. Your loved ones will appreciate the thought and effort you put into choosing an unusual item picked just for them instead of another pair of slippers, set of scented hand lotions, or (gasp) gift cards!
2. Most of the items in antique shops were not made in China and you sure can't find them on Temu.
3. The holidays are an excellent time to enjoy that feeling of nostalgia that vintage items bring.
4. Antiques and vintage items are environmentally friendly -- because they were manufactured long ago and you're giving them a new life.
5. When money is tight, you can count on antique/vintage shops to deliver a great value. Most of us dealers will even haggle a little bit.
6. You will probably learn something!
7. Whether you buy from us, shop at an antique mall, or buy from an online vendor, you're supporting a small business instead of a huge, faceless corporation.
We hope you truly enjoy this holiday season! With all of the scary things and unrest happening throughout the world, take time to appreciate the blessings in your own corner of it.
Visit us at the shop Fridays and Saturdays 12 - 5 p.m., or shop our online store at LamplightAntiques.com.